The priority filing date for the Free Application for Fedral Student Aid (FAFSA) for the 2018-19 Academic Year is December 1st at most Montana Colleges. FAFSA opened on October 1st, so start applying as soon as possible!
To be ready to complete your FAFSA:
- Get your FSA ID at fsaid.ed.gov. The ID is needed to electronically sign up for FAFSA and to log on to several U.S. Department of Education website. The student and one parent both need FSA ID's. There is a PowerPoint that will walk you through the steps of signing up.
- Gather the documents you need to complete the FAFSA:
- Social Security Numbers (student and parent)
- 2016 Federal tax returns (import tax information using IRS data retrieval tool)
- Additional current asset information (savings and checking account balances, real estate excluding the home in which you live, money market funds, stocks, and other investments
- 2016 untaxed income information (child support received, health savings plans, payments to retirement and tax-deferred pensions)
Creating your FSA ID
Filling out FAFSA 101